Great Medieval Hammer photos

by admin on January 14, 2012

Some cool medieval hammer photos:

Church of All Saints – Leamington Spa – Spire – clock
medieval hammer

Picture by ell brown
This is the Church of All Saints in Leamington Spa.

It is Quality II* listed.

All Saints Church, Leamington Spa

Developed in the gothic style in the 19th century, it has been explained as &quotone of the biggest Church of England parish churches, rivaling numerous cathedrals in dimensions.&quot It is situated in the centre of the city, just south of the River Leam in what was the outdated core of the city.

Grade II* listing Church of All Saints, Royal Leamington Spa – British Detailed Properties

Church. 1843-1869, with afterwards additions and alterations and
incorporating north transept wall of 1825. By JG Jackson, of
Leamington, with the vicar, Dr John Craig 1867 south transept
by TC Barry with additions and alterations of 1889, like
chancel screen donated by Sidney Flavel Jr and additional two
west bays of nave and south-west porch and tower of 1892-1902
by Sir A Blomfield. 1986 addition of Urquart Room and Parish
Offices to west end of nave. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof.
Design: French Gothic.
Prepare: 4-phase south-west tower with porch 6-bay nave with
clerestory and aisles, nave has north-west turret 2-bay
transepts, to north transept an entrance, also an east turret
with clock with steeple, and to south transept an entrance
with Galilee porch apsidal chancel with north Girl Chapel and
south Chapel of All Souls.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, moulded band stepped buttresses
to aisles and tower battlements. Tower: west entrance porch
to reduce phase: a plank door in hollow-chamfered,
pointed-arched surround with foliage to spandrels and
architrave with traceried decoration earlier mentioned a 3-light window
to each and every aspect. Second phase: band, 2-light windows. 3rd
stage: band, slits. Fourth phase: band, tall, two-light belfry
openings, band, low parapet with pinnacles with finials to
angles. Nave: to west conclude a tall, five-light window aisles, 2
windows to west have four-centred arches, normally
pointed-arched, 5-light windows. Clerestorys have five-light,
pointed-arched windows. Transepts: rose window to each and every stop,
that to south derived from Church of St Ouen, Rouen, that to
north derived from Rouen Cathedral. To east and south ends of
south chapel are tall, three-light, pointed-arched windows. Apse
has 5 tall three-light windows.
INTERIOR: balcony to west stop. Column clusters to nave and
transepts with treble-chamfered, pointed-arched arcade with
roll-moulding to head. To transepts are four-centred-arched
openings with traceried frieze over, and inside of to north-east
a tall pointed arch with ambigu-chamfered, hollow moulding,
containing organ. Carved reredos dependent on Final Supper. Hammer beam roof. Medieval effigy of an abbot in north porch. Wall
tablets dating back again to 1808. Apse stained glass, 1851, by
Possibility of Birmingham.
HISTORICAL Notice: Bath Street was a major street of the C18
village of Leamington.
All Saints Church types component of a group which consists of
Victoria Bridge, Parade, the Royal Pump Space and Baths, Parade
and Victoria Terrace (qqv).
(The Structures of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 333-4 Cave LF: Royal
Leamington Spa Its Heritage and Development: Chichester: 1988-:
138-140).

Spire on the church with a clock.

Zoom in to the clock deal with.

From Priory Terrace.

Church of All Saints – Leamington Spa – Rose window
medieval hammer

Picture by ell brown
This is the Church of All Saints in Leamington Spa.

It is Quality II* outlined.

All Saints Church, Leamington Spa

Developed in the gothic design in the 19th century, it has been explained as &quotone of the greatest Church of England parish churches, rivaling several cathedrals in dimensions.&quot It is located in the centre of the town, just south of the River Leam in what was the aged core of the city.

Quality II* listing Church of All Saints, Royal Leamington Spa – British Listed Structures

Church. 1843-1869, with afterwards additions and alterations and
incorporating north transept wall of 1825. By JG Jackson, of
Leamington, with the vicar, Dr John Craig 1867 south transept
by TC Barry with additions and alterations of 1889, including
chancel display screen donated by Sidney Flavel Jr and extra 2
west bays of nave and south-west porch and tower of 1892-1902
by Sir A Blomfield. 1986 addition of Urquart Area and Parish
Offices to west finish of nave. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof.
Type: French Gothic.
Program: four-phase south-west tower with porch six-bay nave with
clerestory and aisles, nave has north-west turret two-bay
transepts, to north transept an entrance, also an east turret
with clock with steeple, and to south transept an entrance
with Galilee porch apsidal chancel with north Girl Chapel and
south Chapel of All Souls.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, moulded band stepped buttresses
to aisles and tower battlements. Tower: west entrance porch
to decrease phase: a plank door in hollow-chamfered,
pointed-arched surround with foliage to spandrels and
architrave with traceried decoration earlier mentioned a three-light window
to every aspect. 2nd phase: band, two-light windows. Third
stage: band, slits. Fourth stage: band, tall, two-light belfry
openings, band, lower parapet with pinnacles with finials to
angles. Nave: to west finish a tall, five-light window aisles, two
windows to west have 4-centred arches, in any other case
pointed-arched, five-light windows. Clerestorys have five-light,
pointed-arched windows. Transepts: rose window to every single stop,
that to south derived from Church of St Ouen, Rouen, that to
north derived from Rouen Cathedral. To east and south ends of
south chapel are tall, three-light, pointed-arched windows. Apse
has five tall 3-light windows.
INTERIOR: balcony to west conclude. Column clusters to nave and
transepts with treble-chamfered, pointed-arched arcade with
roll-moulding to head. To transepts are four-centred-arched
openings with traceried frieze earlier mentioned, and inside of to north-east
a tall pointed arch with double-chamfered, hollow moulding,
that contains organ. Carved reredos primarily based on Very last Supper. Hammer beam roof. Medieval effigy of an abbot in north porch. Wall
tablets dating back to 1808. Apse stained glass, 1851, by
Likelihood of Birmingham.
HISTORICAL Be aware: Bath Street was a primary street of the C18
village of Leamington.
All Saints Church kinds portion of a group which includes
Victoria Bridge, Parade, the Royal Pump Area and Baths, Parade
and Victoria Terrace (qqv).
(The Properties of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 333-4 Cave LF: Royal
Leamington Spa Its Historical past and Development: Chichester: 1988-:
138-140).

Rose window on this facet.

The aspect on Priory Terrace, opposite the Publish Business office developing.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Previous post:

Next post: