Question by : Were original greek bronze statues painted too?
Currently it’s pretty big news that greek and roman marble statues obviously were painted. Also everything indicates that this must have looked hideous if you apply our modern standards, but whatever. I learned in school that many of the greek marble sculptures are in fact roman copies of greek bronze sculptures (because the romans needed the bronze for making weapons but being more cultivated than medieval christians, who just destroyed the artworks for being unchristian and mostly nude, made marble copies before melting them down).
So what I want to know is this: Were the original greek bronzes painted too? Which of the marble sculptures with paint found on them are greek originals and not just roman copies? If none, is there any proof that greek originals were painted at all?
Answer by Daniel
I don’t think that the original greek bronzes were painted. The bronze is formed as a cast to keep the sculpture uniform. Basically, the sculptures were hollow to seal in the layer of bronze. Here is a useful link that I found most interesting about.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
- True Grip Design resembles real Sword
- Low Price
- Ideal for Practice
- Real Wooden Construction
- Classic Roman Sword Reproduction
This is a 27 ” Wooden Gladius Roman Sword. The sword is perfect as a prop, for plays, or just for fun.
List Price: $ 0.00
Price: $ 11.20
- Dimensions: 24″
- Development: Solid Aluminum with Rubberized Backing
- Carried: has a thick wood take care of for improved sturdiness and an adjustable nylon strap for fitting
- Battle Worn Look
This is the Poly Resin 300 Reproduction Protect. The protect features a handle and arm band.
Listing Value: $ .00
Price tag: $ 11.44
Uncover A lot more Medieval Shield Merchandise
- This is a new stunning reproduction medieval helmet.
- This is a beautiful ornamental piece for any collector and makes a amazing gift.
- All cautiously hand crafted.
- This medieval helmet is made to look antique with the 18 gauge steel metal hand polished finishing.
- (Helmet Stand Not Integrated) / Strictly for Decoration Only
This is a brand name new medieval helmet. This will make a amazing piece in your medieval artwork assortment. Though this medieval merchandise would make a excellent piece for your medieval armor selection, this is strictly for decoration only! Notice: It is your responsibility to understand SCA fight rules and rules. These rules and laws vary from tournament to tournament and all standards are subject matter to interpretation by Tournament Marshal. For your own safety, do not use this or
Listing Price tag: $ 224.95
Price tag: $ 53.99
More Medieval Helmet Goods